title

28.12.11

Christmas Fire Hoop!



I am a very lucky girl and my boyfriend definitely knows me well - for christmas he got me a silver key necklace, a new watch, lovely bath things and.....a FIRE HOOP!!

I did drop a heavy hint for this some time ago, but let's be honest, i dropped a whole lot of heavy hints, so i honestly didn't expect it, and i am a happy hooper! For the hoop geeks amongst you it's a 37inch collapsable 20mm mdpe hoop with 5 screw in flexible kevlar wicks, tailor made for me by Flaming Melons. (You know your boyfriend knows you well when he doesn't know your dress size, but does know your hoop size, and the difference between mdpe and polypro!)

Incidentally Mel does do polypro, but if my hoop is on fire there's no way i want it to bounce or slip, i find the extra few grams of weight in mdpe are pretty reassuring when i REALLY want to know exactly where it is.

I have fire hooped a few times before at hoop training events and gatherings, always in the presence of experienced fire hoopers that i know and trust. If you're thinking about trying it, my first piece of advice is find someone who knows what they're doing to do it with you! My second piece of advice is read this guide to fire hooping by superhooper.org, it is completely sensible, completely clear, and completely written by very experienced fire performers.

So, high on the agenda for my family on christmas day was, of course, set me on fire. We didn't have any paraffin (the best fuel to use as it burns cleanly at a low heat) so we used lamp oil, which doesn't burn quite as bright or as cool, but does the job! So, here's a video of my first ever try on my brand new hoop - as you can see i was pretty careful and restrained with the moves, safety first!




What was your favourite present? Anything unexpected, or did you get everything on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment